Guest Recipe: Mint Green Tea Cocoa Kisses
What is it about December’s arrival that makes peppermint chocolate the flavor of the season? These cookies may be little but they’re deeply chocolatey with mellow mint flavor from the extracts and the addition of Mint Green tea. You might find each one is like a kiss of cocoa peppermint goodness that would make enough for you to nosh on and pack up for bite-sized holiday gifts. One note here, there’s no need to sift the flour by itself—use the measure and sweep method for portioning out the flour if you don’t have a kitchen scale.
– 1 ¼ cup all-purpose flour
– ¼ teaspoon baking powder
– ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
– ½ teaspoon kosher salt
– 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, chopped (softened for 15 minutes)
– 1 cup granulated sugar
– 1 large egg (at room temperature)
– ¼ teaspoon pure peppermint extract
– ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
– 1 (2 ¼ ounce) bar semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
– loose tea leaves from 2 Choice Organic Teas Mint Green Tea bags
1. Preheat the oven to 375F. Prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Sift together the flour, baking powder, cocoa powder, and salt into a bowl. Break up any remaining clumps of cocoa in the sifter, pressing them against the salt to break them.
3. Toss anything from the sifter into the bowl. Whisk the ingredients for a few strokes.
4. Affix the paddle attachment on a stand mixer. Beat the butter and sugar for 2 minutes.
5. Scrape down the sides of the bowl. Mix the egg until combined.
6. Scrape down the sides of the bowl. Mix in the extracts. Pour in all the flour. Pulse until the flour is almost combined.
7. Stir in the chocolate and Mint Green tea.
8. Scoop out the cookie dough with a teaspoon. Portion them one-inch apart on the sheet.
9. Bake for 8 minutes, turning halfway during baking.
10. Cool the cookies for 2 minutes on the sheet. Finish cooling them on a wire rack.
Makes around 42 cookies.
Recipe and photography come from Annelies Zijderveld, author of Steeped: Recipes Infused with Tea. Find more work from Annelies here. Find details about our exclusive giveaway of her book along with boxes of Mint Green this week on our Facebook page.