Recipe: Black Tea Egg Nog
Our rendition of this holiday staple includes tea (of course!) and is sure to hit the spot while wrapping presents, enjoying company, or whenever the craving strikes! You’ll never have to buy egg nog at the store again when you’ve got this super simple recipe with no preservatives or mystery ingredients. We even cook the eggs in this version, so you don’t need to worry if you’ve got concerns about consuming raw eggs. Enjoy!
– 1 cup water
– 3 tea bags Classic Black
– 6 eggs
– 2 cups whole milk
– 1 cup heavy cream or half & half
– 1/2 cup sugar (more or less to taste)
– 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
– 1/2 tsp cinnamon
– 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
– 3 whole cloves
1. Boil water and steep tea with the cloves for 5 minutes.
2. In a stock pot, combine eggs, whole milk, and sugar.
3. Cook over medium-low heat until thickened, stirring constantly to make sure it does not boil and stick to the pan. (If you’re worried about cooking the eggs thoroughly, use a food thermometer. Eggs are cooked when internal temperature is 160 degrees.)
4. Remove stock pot from heat and add steeped tea (straining out the whole cloves), cream, vanilla extract, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
5. Whisk until light and fluffy.
6. Refrigerate until cold.
7. Whisk and fluff before serving. Garnish with a big of ground nutmeg.
Optional: add rum or bourbon as preferred.